Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thoughts on the OPC GA

The OPC GA was held at Sandy Cove Conference Center, approximately one hour from my home in Maryland. This is also the 75th anniversary of the OPC, so I thought I would attend the Sunday worship service of the GA. I had very little opportunities to interact with the members in attendance, but I was encouraged by one clear observation of those in attendance - the number of young pastors. Not having attended previous GA's, I have had little interaction with OPC members outside of the Mid-Atlanic presbytery. My impression of our church was that the majority are men nearing retirement. There were indeed many entering that stage of their service to the church, and I learned much in my brief time with them (they are like walking history textbooks of American Presbyterianism). But, again, I was encouraged to see the many young men - of whom I consider myself a part. It gave me a sense of hope and excitement for the OPC in the coming decades, but also a moment of pause to wonder if my generation will "fight the good fight" as our predecessors.
There were many of these young men whom I wanted to sit down over a cup of coffee and chat with, build relationships, share visions and dreams, discuss their views on the state of the church and thoughts on current theological and ecclessiological issues. There were so many older men, who had so much to share of the past applied to the present church. I hope to not lose their heritage. Although my time was limited, I realized that as I was leaving on that day that there were many new friendships to be made with a young and committed group of leaders to the cause of the Gospel of Christ. Exciting days await for the OPC in the century to come!

No comments: